Cloth vs. Disposable Diapering

Saturday, July 21, 2012

I hosted a friend's baby shower today at my home. We had a wonderful time and enjoyed visting and playing games and opening presents.

I have known for a while that this friend plans on using cloth diapers on her first baby (coming in September), but it wasn't until today that I was really intrigued.

I will admit, at first it sounds like a lot more trouble than it's worth. Like my other friend said at the shower, "this sounds a lot like couponing to me." I totally agreed.

And please note: I couponed for about one month before I realized that I simply didn't have the patience. I know some of you are hard core couponers, and I honestly wish I were more like you, but I'm not.

But, here I find myself seriously considering using cloth diapers. I asked you on Facebook, and you all chimed in. Some of you said it's great. Some of you said you hated it.

Why couldn't you all have said the same thing? We could have just all agreed and made a quick and easy decision.

Oh, but that's not really the way it works, is it? No, it can't be that simple.

I have been doing some research and have found some interesting articles (thanks to many of your tips).

This article was interesting (beside the fact that it made me feel bad about diapering my other two children). I don't like scare tactics. But it was still very informative. And this article was also very helpful. It gives a great cost structure break-down.

I will honestly say that one reason I'm drawn to cloth diapers is because I hate diaper rashes caused by disposables, and honestly, cloth diapers are just so stinkin' cute! I mean, have you ever seen diapers so cute!?

Let's just say that I am very intrigued. Very, very intrigued. We shall see....

.....day 344 of a year of writing.....

4 comments:

  1. The only real suggestion I can make is give it a try. I have known several people who have done it and some did it for a month or so and decided it wasn't for them and then I've also known quite a few who love it and still do it today. Each brand is different and they all seem to have their little tricks . And as with disposables some work better than others for certain children. I know that some companys will send you samples of diapers to try and for someone who isn't sure about it I would suggest that. that way you don't make a ton of investment and you get several different brands to try out before making your final decision. Like I said on FB we went with Gdiapers mainly because of the disposable option and also because we are able to use some hand me down which helps tremendously with the investment! But I know myself well enough to know that if i had to deal with cloth diapers while we were out and about it wouldn't be long and I would say Forget it i'm going disposable. But with the disposable inserts I know that I will be much more likely to stick with it in the long run plus the amount of money we'll save not constantly buying diapers is just super appealing to me! I can't wait to read more about what you decide and how it all turns out for you. I'll be sure to let you know what I really think about them once our baby girl arrives in about a month!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Depending on where you live some smaller towns don't have this; but places have cloth diaper services; defiantely something to look into!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Check out smart bottoms. They are a direct sale company but I love their diapers!

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger · Designed by Pish and Posh Designs