The One About Grace

Friday, June 8, 2012

I don't think it's a coincidence that on the day Brian had to travel to Dallas to get Addison's middle name fixed on her passport (Grace) that God flooded my mind with the word grace. 

I needed it this morning in my impatience getting four kids ready to head out the door. I needed it in the car when I raised my voice too loud more than once.

And when I walked into the babies' daycare, there was a song playing from an old cassette player in the corner of the office signing praises of His grace. And I remember thinking to myself, "Yeah, I need that today. I need grace because I sure don't have it together."

And all day the word popped in my head. Over and over again in my insecurities and my insufficiencies. I don't believe for a second that His grace is an excuse for us to be okay with our sinful nature or the things that we fall short of. It's simply covering. He covers us in grace.

Often times He not only covers us in it, but pours it over us.

I felt like He didn't just rain down grace on me, but more specifically the word itself.

And tonight after hearing awful news that broke my heart, that word would not stop flooding my mind.

But grace 

But grace 

But grace

So I have scoured my Bible's index looking up every place the word grace shows up. Interestingly enough it is often spoken of in how it was given to us from God through Christ. It says it over and over and over again.

Romans 15:15 "Because of the grace God gave me...."

Proverbs 3:34 "But gives grace to the humble..."

Romans 12:6 "According to the grace give us...."

1 Corinthians 1:4 "Of his grace given you in Christ Jesus..."

Galatians 2:9 "When they recognized the grace given..."

See? Over and over again. The Bible speaks of how His grace was given to us.

It's amazing to me. Free and undeserved grace (as Romans 11:6 describes it). Grace that we never and could never earn was given to us freely.

I'm literally shaking my head back and forth as I write this.

Why? Why would you do such a thing? Why would you give away something so great to someone like me?

It baffles me.

I don't know why that little word has been all consuming in my mind today, but I don't think it's chance and I don't think it's coincidence. I'm pretty sure I'm headed to my bed (even with a messy house) to snuggle next to my husband (whom I am incredibly grateful for tonight) to download any book I can find about grace.

I think I'm supposed to get it. I mean really get it. I think I need to seek it out.

Why us? Why God's abundant grace?

I know that He loves me more than I love my children. I know that and I feel that, but I also feel so incredibly undeserving of His grace.

Grace over it all. It covers. It showers. It rains down on us when we need it the most from a God who loves us more than we'll ever know.

Hmmmmm........grace.

{Just a guess, but I'm pretty sure there is more to come on that subject soon.}

.....day 301 of a year of writing.....


No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger · Designed by Pish and Posh Designs