Change

Tuesday, January 10, 2012


It's dark tonight in Mexico. The ocean crashes into the rocks near our room, and the stars seem to shine with the bright promise of something better that's just ahead.

There is change in the air. The best kind of change. The kind of change that comes from looking ahead instead of looking behind; the kind of change that really changes things, not just for now or for a little bit, but for a generation to come....maybe more.

My mind is a buzz with the happenings of the day. There is oh so much to look forward to.

As I sit here pondering what this post really should be about, all I can think about is a man and woman with whom I've had to put all my trust behind. A company that I have poured my life into and that has in return changed me completely.



Brian and I are in Mexico this week with Scentsy's Annual Leadership Retreat. I am in awe once again at the commitment that Orville and Heidi have not only to Scentsy, but to the consultants who make up this incredible company.

Almost three years ago in March of 2009, I was speaking at a Scentsy spring training event in Oklahoma City. Brian, who was working as a car salesman at the time, took off for a few hours that Saturday to come see me speak.

At the time, I had been selling Scentsy for about a year and a half. I was a SuperStar Director and was able to work my Scentsy business while staying home with my daughter.

At this particular event, I was three days away from giving birth to our son (even though I thought I had a few more weeks to go).

Things were going well, but Brian had some honest questions for Orville. I will never forget the first time Brian met him. I had just finished my presentation and Orville and I were standing in the lobby of the event space. Brian came out of the presentation room to find and congratulate me.

Brian was not interested in a simple "hello" or "it's nice to meet you."

He had a few serious questions to ask. And the one I remember and will never forget was, "How do I know that in a few years, when Scentsy is a huge company and things are going really well, that you won't sell out to Glade or some other home fragrance line. How do I know that I can trust this in the long run. My wife has worked hard and has no intentions of stopping now, but I want to know if this is going to last."

What Orville said in response is something I will never forget.

He told Brian that he has made a promise to every woman or man who joins Scentsy to have the opportunity to live the life they want to, not the life they have to. Scentsy offers so many people the opportunity to live financially free. He said he doesn't just want that for his family, but for anyone who joins the Scentsy family.

Orville said that at the end of the day, it's not about how much money they can accumulate personally, but how many people they can help.

Ever since that conversation, Brian has been 100% behind Scentsy and Orville and every decision he's made. And so have I.

And what he said three years ago in that lobby of the Reed Center, he said again today to over 800 directors as he promised us that he and Heidi are all in.

No matter what comes. No matter where we go, I'm there too. All in. All the way.

I trust the decisions of the people who have gotten me this far. I would not be who I am today without them. I will stand behind every business decision they make because I know that the only place they would take us is up.

The ironic thing about change is that it's the only thing constant in life.

Bring on the changes.

I know this is so vague to some of you. To others it seeps with meaning. All I can say here and now is that I'm excited about the near future. I'm excited about 2012. My mind is full of new promises and opportunities.

Here I come with my arms open wide and my feet ready to run with it.

Can't wait to tell you more.....soon enough.....soon enough......

.....day 151 of a year of writing.....

6 comments:

  1. my sentiments exactly. ALL IN!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. can't WAIT to hear all the goodness that has come from today! I'm ready. Well..wait. I need to go get my running shoes on! Bring it! Have fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This makes me so fired up to be a part of this company!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cannot wait!!!! Loved reading this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's just what I need to hear! More than your ever know! :) Remember God speaks through people! I can't wait to hear all about it, and so excited for what is to come!

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger · Designed by Pish and Posh Designs