Change

Wednesday, May 9, 2012


For some reason, all I can think about tonight is how everything changes.

I love that quote that says, The only thing constant in life is change. Ironic, but true.

Our personal life is definitely in the process of changing. We're praying about where we should be and what we should be doing. And in the midst of it all, our kids are changing like crazy. I was watching a video from when Addison was two years old the other day, and I just simply couldn't believe that it was only three years ago that she was this precious chubby little thing and now she's a big beautiful girl.

My babies suddenly aren't babies anymore. Can anyone relate? Since I have friends who have kids who are graduating this year, I'm sure you can. It seems like yesterday, doesn't it?

Plus, my sister is getting married. She's marrying the most incredible guy, and we feel so blessed that the Lord brought the two of them together.

Whitney and I spent the afternoon and evening together along with my mom and my aunt and KeeLee (one of Whitney's bridesmaids) as we were swept from one beautiful location to the next to shoot bridal portraits.

It was truly a beautiful evening. And the weather cooperated perfectly.


But, all I could seem to think about was how nothing stays the same. Sometimes I want to hit pause. I just want it all to stand still for a moment. I just want to enjoy it. I want to breathe it all in.

But we can't. There isn't a pause button on our lives. We don't get to stop it momentarily. It keeps on going, and that is one thing we can count on. Our lives will be forever changing. Forever moving.

I keep thinking about our foster babies and how much change their tiny little hearts have already been through. It seems like it's too much. But my heart knows that the Lord has great things for them. It's the prayer I pray over them everyday. I pray about where they'll end up, about who they'll be around, and about the grown up people that they will one day become.

They've only been here three months, and I can't believe the way they've grown and changed. Sometimes I feel like they've been here forever, and other times I feel like it was yesterday that they showed up at the door with their bleach blonde heads and big blue eyes just begging us to love them.

And even our lives with them are changing. We know they won't be here forever. We know there is a transition coming soon.

And so we change.

I don't have any great conclusion to my thoughts on change. I've just been aware of it. It's bombarding me.

My conclusion to myself: Don't miss it. Don't let it slip by. Not a day, not a moment, not a single smile. They keep changing. You keep changing. Life keeps changing. And it's not a bad thing. It's just a real thing.

Oh, the sweet irony of constant change.

.....day 271 of a year of writing.....

1 comment:

  1. I am horrible at dealing with change. Even good change trips me up and freaks me out! So often instead of "pausing" life I wish I could rewind. Just live a day in my life as a child, a day of life in college, etc etc. I'm sure as Eli gets older I will long to live just one day of our time as it is now. Change IS constant, but yet so hard to adjust to it sometimes.

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger · Designed by Pish and Posh Designs