The Laziest Day Ever

Tuesday, December 27, 2011


Well, so much for me not waiting until the end of the day to write. It's 12:25. My kiddos went to bed around 11:30, our house is still a Christmas mess, and Brian and I can't peel ourselves off the couch.

We have been completely engrossed for the entire day.

Well, almost the entire day.

I started off my first day of not working by working. Of course I did! But there were a few things I needed to get taken care of before I could really take off.

So, with Christmas presents finally on their way to a few of my downline, I decided it was time to relax.

On Christmas Eve I started reading The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. The plot:
Katniss is a 16-year-old girl living with her mother and younger sister in the poorest district of Panem, the remains of what used be the United States. Long ago the districts waged war on the Capitol and were defeated. As part of the surrender terms, each district agreed to send one boy and one girl to appear in an annual televised event called, "The Hunger Games." The terrain, rules, and level of audience participation may change but one thing is constant: kill or be killed. When Kat's sister is chosen by lottery, Kat steps up to go in her place. 



My best friend and I always exchange books for Christmas. She always has great fiction recommendations and I always offer up my latest Christian book title or business book. (Don't I sound exciting?!)

This year she got The Hunger Games for me. I know I've seen it on the bestsellers' list, but I've never picked it for myself for some reason.

Now I know why. You have to have the time to read the stupid thing because it is beyond addicting!

So far, I am through the first two books of the trilogy and just started the third. (Yes, this is all within the past three days. That's why we have gotten nothing done around here lately!) The movie is coming out on March 23rd, too! From the looks of the pictures, they have done a great a job keeping true to the book.

So, if you're a reader or not, I highly recommend The Hunger Games (but only if you have a couple days to spare). This is your warning: YOU WILL GET SUCKED IN!

Even my husband, who is not a huge reader, can't put it down. He started the book late last night and is sitting next to me now on the couch updating me every fews pages on what's unfolding. He'll be finished within the hour. Then, I'm sure he'll be on to the second one, Catching Fire. He actually just commented that this book will be the first he has ever read in a day (and it's almost 400 pages long).



This trilogy is without a doubt one of the best I have ever read. (And yes, I read all of the Twilight saga, and I stood in line for all the Harry Potter books on the night of their release.)

This is different. It's unexpected, creative, slightly scary, and purely addictive.

I've got to go. The third book is calling my name.

.....day 137 of a year of writing.....



No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger · Designed by Pish and Posh Designs