Walking (or running) with God

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

 Yesterday I headed out for a 5 mile run. With the 1/2 marathon less than 1 month away, I'm really far behind, and plan on doing my best to catch up on mileage this week and get back into my routine.

Running has become a time of prayer and God seeking for me. I realize that sounds kind of weird, but I don't really care. It's true.

So yesterday, I started running and telling God to fill me up; to use this time to show me what He wanted me to do. I really wanted some answers about the possibility of another baby in our lives whether it be through adoption or by us having another one. I just wanted a better idea of what He wants for us and what kind of time frame He had in mind.

However, a baby is apparently not what God wanted to talk about. Before my run was over, I was planning a call to Christ in my head, and I couldn't stop thinking about it.

When Brian first went into youth ministry, he asked if I would ever want to do the call to Christ aka "the close" after the message. I said yes, and he immediately asked, "next week?" Then I said, NO! That was a long time ago, and it was always in the back of my mind that one day I should stand on that stage and encourage kids to ask Christ into their hearts.

At the time it felt like a lot of pressure. I didn't want to screw up, and honestly I don't know that my faith was strong enough to do it, but after yesterday's run, I had complete peace about the idea of it.

Last night I told Brian that I was ready to do the call to Christ whenever he needed me to. He said, "like tomorrow?" And I don't think he expected me to say it, but I said, "yeah." I've never been on stage in Yukon and most of the kids don't even know who I am. I usually sit in the office and write Brian's e-mails for him during the service.

We both agreed that since we were starting our new "Weird" series that it would be perfectly weird and acceptable for me to be on stage for the first time to do the call to Christ. Interestingly enough, never once did I get nervous. It was a peace that I can't explain. It was like I knew God had asked me and prepared me to do it, so I wasn't afraid.

Today was a great day. I was at peace and thought a lot about how I wanted to connect with the kids. I've never felt so calm about being on stage in front of people. I wish I could better explain it to you.

All I can say is that truly amazing things happen when you seek God and follow Him. Unfortunately I think so many of us struggle with our "walk with God." It's like we think if we're not reading our bible and praying those formal "dear heavenly Father" prayers, then we're not seeking Him. But that's not really want He wants from us anyways. He wants intimacy and trust. He wants us to rely on Him, and the truth of the matter is that most of us don't. It's a lot easier to make decisions for ourselves than to seek God's advice before proceeding.

One thing I've learned about "walking with God" is that it doesn't have to be stuffy and formal. God wants you, not some pre-planned prayer. He wants your doubts and your fears and your anxieties and your joys and your successes all together. He wants you to talk to Him like you talk to your best friend.

Andrew Womak talks about prayer as a constant conversation with God. He relates it to spending the day with your spouse. Even when you're with someone all day long, you don't talk to them every second of the day. You do other things; you answer the phone; you eat; you might shop, or see a movie; but when you go to say something to your spouse, you can simply ask a question or start a new conversation. That's the kind of relationship God wants with us. He knows we have kids and work and dinner to make (He blessed us with all the joys of family!). He just wants to be present (He is whether we acknowledge Him or not!) everyday through everything. And more than anything, He wants to be acknowledged. He wants us to seek His advice and His will for us. He loves us even when we don't, but He desires for us to allow Him into every piece of our lives.

I guess it was about time I posted something other than organization. But this too is organizational. It's the concept of a time effective, everyday, all day, walk with God. Anyone can do it. Anyone can acknowledge Him. I simply challenge you to do it more often and see what opportunities He blesses you with. After yesterday, I know I'll be asking Him to use me a whole lot more. I'll take that kind of intentional peace any day. 

1 comment:

  1. ok... since talking with you in january about running, i have used that time alone as a time with God. Seriously.... when is our sleepover? we are like besties from across the country!
    xo.

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger · Designed by Pish and Posh Designs