The First Day of School

Friday, August 26, 2011


Our school situation is beyond dreamy. Addy goes to a little private school less than a mile from our house.

It's an incredible school. She is in a class of 4 and 5 year olds with only six kids in the entire class! Her teacher is incredible and all the staff seem to absolutely adore Addison.

Yesterday was her first day of Pre-K. She was gone from 8:30-3:45! Don't get me started; I might cry!



She, on the other hand, is crazy about being at school that long. When I asked her how her first day of school went, she said, "I stayed all day, and I didn't even take a nap!"

What a day.

But as a mom, my heart breaks every time I drop her off. I miss her so much during the day. I don't get very much "Addy" time anymore.


I have felt called to homeschool for a few months now. My plan is to start next year. I already know the battle I'll face....she will want to go to school.

The great thing about her school now is that she is learning to truly love learning. That is exactly what I want. I want her to love everything about the pursuit of knowledge. I don't want her to be held back. I want her to want more of everything that is thrown at her.

But as much as I want her to love learning, I want her to love Jesus even more. I want her to know who she is, and I want her to know who she is in Christ.

I also (simply out of selfishness) want to be able to take her to the museum, and the zoo, and the beach when all the other kids are in school. I want to go on adventures with her. I want to fall into a book on a rainy afternoon with her under a fort of blankets hidden away from the rest of the world.

I don't want to have to miss the next 14 years.

My heart is in such turmoil right now. She loves her school, and so do I! She thrives there. She gets the attention she needs and the socialization she craves. I mean come on, the kid has a tree house in her classroom!



But while I wrestle with my heart and my head, I'll spend the next 7 months reading everything I can about homeschooling. I'll keep looking to my homeschooling group for guidance (yes, I'm in a homeschool group and I don't yet homeschool). And I'll keep praying that God will clearly show me the best future for our children. And wherever He leads me, I will follow.

.......Day 14 of a year of writing.....

1 comment:

Powered by Blogger · Designed by Pish and Posh Designs